Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hybrid Cars

I confess. As the owner of a Honda Civic Hybrid, I do try to get the best mpg I can from my car. I try to impress my family and friends with the great mileage I get, but I think they are all tired of hearing about it. (Yesterday, on the freeway, I got 61mpg. In the city, I can get between 44-49mpg.)

Apparently, there are other Hybrid drivers like me who have become obsessive about their gas mileage:
(Buffalo News)

The passion that burns in Laurie With isn’t visible until she gets behind the wheel of her Honda Civic hybrid — and drives real slow.

She accelerates gently when the light turns green, and coasts down hills to save gas. On highways, she stays in the right lane and watches the big SUVs zoom past.

“When I see someone roar past me, I think, ‘They just used enough gas to last me a week,’ ” she said.

She is part of a small and extremely dedicated group of drivers around the country who call themselves “hypermilers.”

....Chuck Thomas, a 49-year-old computer programmer from Lewisville, Texas, milks his hybrid Honda Insight for about 75 miles per gallon....

I have learned that if I do drive 61 mph on the freeway (when the speed limit is 65mph), I can get higher gas mileage. As you can tell, Hybrid owners love their cars!