Sunday, July 01, 2007

My Movie Review: Sicko

I am not a professional movie reviewer. Anything I say about this movie, Sicko, or any other movie should be taken as the personal opinion of a regular human being. Period.

Last night, we went to see Michael Moore's latest movie, Sicko. Although I had seen previews, I still was not sure exactly what message/messages I would get from the movie. Here are a few words that I think describe the movie: thought-provoking, upsetting, revealing, shocking, and hopeful.

If you work for a profit-making, health insurance or are the CEO of a health insurance company (and make millions or billions of money in profits by denying payments to sick people), you'll hate this movie. However, if you are an ordinary American who has had a run-in with your health insurance or the insurance of a parent, you'll find a lot to like in Sicko. You may even take a little courage away from the movie to use the next time you get a letter from your health insurer when they deny you coverage.

You are probably wondering why I used the word "hopeful." I think that if Americans get together and demand that our government do something about providing health care for every American, I am hopeful that some good will come out of it.