Thursday, July 26, 2007

Your Mother or Grandmother May Scare TSA


It is getting really weird in the airports. ABC News:
An unsuspecting senior citizen from Long Island, N.Y. is behind one of the incidents that prompted the TSA to issue a bulletin last week about cases in which they suspect terrorists may have been probing airport security by trying to bring peculiar items on board airplanes.

In her case, Sara Weiss tried to bring ice packs on her flight home.

"I'm not a terrorist. I'm just a 66-year-old woman who's coming back from visiting her son and I have a bad back, so I carry these things," Weiss told ABC News' Lisa Stark.

She may not seem the part -- but on July 5, after visiting her son in San Diego, she was questioned as she was about to board the plane home....

I've always wondered how many mothers and grandmothers have been stopped by airport security for their carry on luggage. When my mother visited us from Pennsylvania, she always brought us food. She once brought us a frozen roast, Italian meatballs, and Tasty Cakes in a large bag she carried on her flight. (I guess she thought that there weren't any good butchers in central Ohio!!!!!!) How many other grandmothers have triggered security scares because of the chicken soup or the ice packs in their tote bags? We may never know.