Friday, April 03, 2009

Marley & Me: Kleenex Warning

When our neighbors got a new puppy in the mid 90's, our family fell in love with their little, white, puffy, fur ball. The girls started their campaign for a dog. My response had always been, "When pigs fly over our house, we'll get a dog." Of course, my husband and I caved.

Our first puppy was a white toy poodle that we named Max. Despite the fact that the girls had promised to walk him, feed him, and take care of him, Max became my dog. He was the President of my fan club and my protector. He warned me about the mail truck, the UPS man, and anyone who ventured near our street. To be honest, I had become attached to Max, despite my initial reluctance to own a dog.

After a several years, Max was diagnosed with diabetes. It is apparent that many owners have their animals euthanized rather than provide the additional cost and work that goes with this kind of diagnosis. I learned so much about the disease. In order to keep him alive, I had to give Max insulin shots twice per day. Whenever we went out of town, we had to board him at an animal hospital that would give him his shots. My husband and I limited our evenings so that I would be home to give Max his shot at 8pm. For nearly five years, I was the primary provider of the insulin shots. Because Max was not a willing patient, Max had to be bribed with a tiny piece of cheese or a liver treat. I still have a small scar on my hand reminding me of a time when Max saw me approaching him with the needle in my hand. Giving him the twice per day insulin shots became a clandestine operation.

Despite the twice per day insulin shots for nearly five years, Max became very ill. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and did not have long to live. After much deliberation and tears, our family said our final goodbyes to Max, and he was put to sleep. We were crying so much, we even had the vet crying.

Even though we lost Max a couple of years ago, the memories all came back when I watched the movie, Marley & Me. If you've ever had a dog or lost a dog to an illness or accident, make sure you watch the movie with a fresh box of kleenex by your side.