Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Tragedy at Virginia Tech

My thoughts and prayers go out to the students, their families, faculty, staff, and friends of Virginia Tech University.

The events surrounding the killings will be examined by experts for days and months to come. However, it makes us wonder how to prevent similar tragedies.

When I was a teacher, building administrators arranged and conducted various types of drills (fire, tornado, evacuation, and intruder) for staff and students. However, those drills were for one building.

I was a student in May 1970 at the Ohio State University when the students were killed at Kent State University. Ohio State, which had an enrollment of around 50,000 then, had an increased security response. We had Columbus Police in riot gear surrounding the outside of the campus and OSU police and armed National Guard troops on the campus. Classes were canceled and students had to leave campus by noon the next day. I believe OSU was closed for at least a week. When OSU reopened, National Guard troops were on campus, a strict curfew was enforced, and security was at an all time high.

Even today, I cannot forget the events in spring of 1970 at Ohio State and Kent State.

Once again, I offer my thoughts and prayers for those associated with VT.