Friday, September 10, 2010

Shopping with a Conscience

I have always enjoyed shopping at Target.  Recently, however, I've been avoiding going to my local Target store.  When I first heard about the Target political contribution made to a group that was supporting the campaign of Minnesota Republican Tom Emmer, I was a little surprised. I had always viewed Target as a good place to shop that respected all people. Target was the store I picked to get many household items for my family.  However, the more I read about Tom Emmer and his hatred of gays, it made me feel upset that I may have provided money for Target to make their contribution.

I haven't been to Target in several weeks.  That statement would surprise a lot of people because I often visited the store 2-3 times/week.  Some people smoke cigarettes. Some gamble.  I always shopped at Target.

I have categorized Target with Walmart----- places I don't shop.

Why does a 59 year old wife, mother, and grandmother care what happens in a governor's race in Minnesota?  Why do I even care about how a corporation spends their millions?  As I said, I'm a mother.  When Target made that donation that was then sent to Emmer, it certified their acceptance of Emmer's platform against gays.   In essence, Emmer and Target said it was okay to attack, discriminate, and deny rights to gays.  Target funded hatred. 

I know that my lack of shopping at Target won't make a dent in their profits.  The managers at my local Target probably haven't even noticed that I've not been in the store.  Right now, staying out of Target just makes me feel better.