Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who gives them the right.....?


Hayley Rose has an excellent article, The Importance of Choice, posted at Salon.com:

After being raped by two men when I was just fifteen years old, I understand the value of choice. Maybe that's because I never had one. The trauma I experienced reminds me of the abortion ban Mississippi law makers are pushing through their state legislature. Had I become pregnant as a result of those rapes, there is no doubt in my mind that I would've aborted the fetus.

For most of those (pro-lifers) leaning towards the anti-choice stance, rape and incest are often the two exceptions to the rule, when it comes to the outlawing abortions. Who gives them the right to put stipulations on other people's decisions? Who gives them the right to take away my choice? Maybe one has to have the option of choice taken away before he or she can fully understand it's value....

...On the subject one proud State Representative, Bubba Carpenter said,
“They're like, 'Well, the poor pitiful women that can't afford to go out of state are just going to start doing them at home with a coat hanger.' That's what we've heard over and over and over. But hey, you have to have moral values. You have to start somewhere, and that’s what we've decided to do. This became law and the governor signed it, and I think for one time, we were first in the nation in the state of Mississippi."

Read the rest of the post at Salon.

In case you're interested, the original video of Bubba Carpenter's speech on abortions with a hanger, can no longer be embedded, according to the Maddowblog.  The script of what Bubba Carpenter said is on the Maddowblog.